Postpartum Depression: What You Can Do
Everybody can do something about perinatal depression—from working to decrease stigma to providing support for women.
If you are a care provider for women or their infants, here are some things you can do that will support women, infants, and families during the perinatal period and beyond.
- Learn about depression in the perinatal period and how depression can affect women, their partners, and their children.
- Identify resources in your area that provide appropriate services for treating depression.
- Develop a process for depression screening that ensures that women are screened twice during pregnancy and twice in the postpartum period.
- Support women and their families by reassuring them that help is available.
- Remember, you can’t tell by looking™.
Did you know?
Screening is effective in identifying depression.